Re: amber-developers: neb test case

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.scripps.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 14:56:26 -0700

Hi,

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Carlos Simmerling wrote:

> Scott- I tracked this problem down to something you recently changed in
> sander.f
>
> ! SRB 07/2007 added pimd initialization for neb; this should be
> verified!
> if ( ipimd > 0 .or. ineb > 0 ) then
>
> this causes the same variables to be allocated in pimd_init and neb_init.
>
> was there a reason for needing this, or should I revert it back?

The reasons were given in the cvs logs:
RCS file: /thr/loyd/case/cvsroot/amber10/src/sander/sander.f,v
----------------------------
revision 9.27
date: 2007/07/20 21:58:53; author: sbrozell; state: Exp; lines: +4 -1
Added pimd initialization for the case ipimd == 0 and ineb > 0.
Pimd initialization for neb is necessary because neb uses
several allocated pimd variables; pimd_vars:: nrg_all and
full_pimd_vars:: xall for example.
However, I have no idea whether I have done this correctly !
In addition, the role of neb in subroutine do_pme_recip looks
very suspicious.
There are currently no test cases with LES and neb.
Thus, pimd, neb, and les related code should be carefully inspected
by their developers !!!!!
----------------------------
RCS file: /thr/loyd/case/cvsroot/amber10/src/sander/ew_force.f,v
revision 9.18
date: 2007/07/20 21:21:04; author: sbrozell; state: Exp; lines: +7 -5
Corrected the bug exercised by test/LES/Run.PME_LES.
This bug caused a seg fault because allocated variable
part_pimd_vars::pimd_mmchg was used without being defined.
I added the same guarding-if-statement used in another section
of subroutine do_pme_recip. That seems correct; however, do_pme_recip
should be carefully examined because the interplay between pimd, neb,
les, and variable mpoltype is not clear to me; in particular,
I wonder whether the last les ifdef code fragment should be inside
the mpoltype == 0 if-statement ????? Here is the fragment:
#ifdef LES
   if( ipimd > 0 ) then
      eer = eer_sum/ncopy
      frc = frc + ftmp/ncopy
      frcx_copy = frcx_copy/ncopy
   end if
#endif
Regardless, the logic in do_pme_recip should be less convoluted or
at least clarified with comments.
In addition, the role of neb in do_pme_recip looks very suspicious.
There are currently no test cases with LES and neb.

And the mess was reported to amber-developers: