Re: amber-developers: OSX: cvs tree filename problems (gleap)

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.scripps.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 14:03:20 -0700

Hi,

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, Ross Walker wrote:

> [...]

I second the rule that name comparisons should ignore case.
For mac there are workarounds, but no one seems to use them in practice.

Scott

ps possibly stale mac details from Ron Shepard:

The HFS+ Macintosh filesystem is case insentitive. On the Mac you
can also have unix filesystems (UFS). But, here's the rub. If you
use a UFS filesystem, then the files are limited to 2GB. If you use
the HFS+ filesystem, there is no filelength limit (well, maybe there
is a 48 or 64 bit limit somewhere). I think most Mac users will not
bother with UFS filesystems, so it would be a good thing to keep this
in mind with file and directory names. BTW, the MacOS is a POSIX
machine that allows 32-character filenames and (I think this is the
right limit) 256-character path names.