Re: amber-developers: ptraj precision

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 10:23:39 -0500

Hi Carlos -
I think we are in violent agreement here ;-) When I first read your first
email, I was looking at the deeper floating point representation issue, not
realizing 1) that there was conversion to a 4 byte internal representation
in ptraj which makes the issue worse (until I saw Tom's code snippet), and
2) when you said "exact", you really just wanted the precision to be close
enough you didn't see the difference in the printouts. I think the issue is
very adequately resolved by Tom doing the fix, and in my opinion, these
methods are all so fuzzy, getting hung up on exact numbers is probably a
waste of time. I probably belabored the point a bit too much because I
think there is a tendency to disregard a bunch of problems that occur with
floating point numbers - computer scientist types, myself included, tend to
hate having to use them. So, happiness is everyone agreeing that your
problem is fixed :-)
Best Regards - Bob