Re: amber-developers: formatting problem in amber

From: David A. Case <case.scripps.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 09:30:20 -0800

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006, Mark Williamson wrote:

> It would
> be really great if gfortran could mature to a state whereby it can
> produce a build of AMBER9 that passes all the test cases.

We have mostly used g95 rather than gfortran for this purpose, for several
reasons:

  a. up until about November, 2005, gfortran would not even compile sander;
  b. g95 is dead-easy to install, works reliably, and exposes problems that
     the ifort compiler lets go.

It's too bad that the g95/gfortran efforts had to fork apart. As newer
installations have gfortran installed by default, more and more people are
trying it, so we will have to support it better. For someone not planning
to use Amber enough to warrant buying the intel compiler, I would still
recommend g95 in most cases. As gfortran improves, and we get more experience
with it, that may change.

Thanks for the patch...I'm hoping Ross or Mike will put this in, since it's
in the qm2 code area.

...regards...dac