Re: amber-developers: C89 proposal

From: David A. Case <case.scripps.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:19:01 -0700

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006, Scott Brozell wrote:

> The larger issue is the merit of picking c89 vs c99, and enforcing that by
> using for example gcc -std=c89. As for fortran 95 the advantage of
> compiler getting feedback about nonstandard language constructs is that
> we can keep them out of the sources and avoid this platform specific
> nuisance.

Do you know if sgi mips compilers will accept variable length arrays in C?
To me, that seems like one of the most useful C99 extensions, since you can
effectively have temporary arrays without a malloc/free logic around it.
However, I don't think that anyone has used this feature yet in the Amber
code.

...dave