amber-developers: C89 proposal

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.scripps.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 23:01:38 -0700

Hi,

I propose that we adopt the C89 C ANSI standard for Amber.
My reasoning is that there are some common platforms that do not support
C99 and that C99 does not provide critical improvements.

The main common platform that does not support C99 is the ubiquitous
aging SGI MIPS computer. Many labs have such equipment. And although
they are usually not used as computational engines, it is common to install
Amber on them and use them for front ends, for analysis, etc.

Judge the C89 vs C99 features at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_programming_language#C99

This stems from pursuing nightly testing on pusar, an sgi_mips.
The compilers are old and the man pages have no mention of C99.
MIPSpro Compilers: Version 7.3.1.2m

cc-1241 cc: ERROR File = ptraj.c, Line = 4037
  A declaration cannot appear after an executable statement in a block.

      int natomCL = lesSize( atoms );
      ^

Scott