RE: amber-developers: MPI 2 for Amber 10?

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:25:03 -0700

> > There are some functions of MPI 2 that I would like to use
>
> what are these functions?

Initially the main ones I would like to use are MPI_IN_PLACE versions of
many mpi v1 commands.

E.g.
if (master) then
  call mpi_reduce(MPI_IN_PLACE, sendbuf, 100, MPI_REAL, MPI_SUM, 0,
commworld, ier)
else
  call mpi_reduce(sendbuf, 0, 100, MPI_REAL, MPI_SUM, 0, commworld, ier)
end if

Result ends up in sendbuf on the master without the need for a temporary
array. This support is not defined in the MPI v1 standard but a number of
MPI 1 implementations appear to support it. Although how many I don't know.

While messy this can be worked around with some ifdefs to do both versions.
However, I would ultimately like to be able to use single sided messaging
operations (mpi_get and mpi_put) as this makes diagonalization in parallel
significantly more efficient. However, there is no MPI v1 equivalent of this
and so it would be very difficult to make both MPI v1 and MPI v2 compliant
versions of the code.

All the best
Ross

/\