amber-developers: reversing course on the bintraj option

From: David A. Case <case.scripps.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 11:53:32 -0700

Hi everyone:

Given the large numbers of problems people are having with bintraj
compilation
on some machines (see the wiki page), and the fact that it is quite
difficult
to find even what the problems are (much less the solutions) [again, in
some
cases], I have un-done the recent change to "configure", and made
bintraj=no
be the default. [There is no change in any code--just in what default is
set in configure.]

I can just forsee many difficult questions about this from people who
would actually never even need/use that feature, but for whom a failure in
configuration or compilation is a bad first introduction to our codes.
In contrast, users with enough experience to know that they could use this
option can easily reconfigure with the "-bintraj" flag.

Of course, there are tradeoffs both ways, but I would rather err on
helping
new users vs. making life a little easier for experienced ones. And even
experienced amber developers are becoming frustrated when netCDF fails to
compile....

Since only a handful of lines in configure are involved, we can re-visit
this
issue before release, but only if we can get a better handle on
things...perhaps a "stripped-down" version of the installation that only
creates just what is needed for sander, and not a bunch of other stuff as
well?

....dac

David A. Case                     |  e-mail:      case.scripps.edu