Re: amber-developers: reversing course on the bintraj option

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 12:10:31 -0700

Dave -
Per my earlier mail, I am sold on bintraj as a useful feature, especially
for high scaling at supercomputer centers. At these locations, it is
often
true that a netCDF module is already available, built by the system s/w
support people. For pmemd, I think we may get 5-10% speedup from using
bintraj at high processor count rather routinely for realistic runs that
are
dumping coords every 0.25 psec or so. Anyway, I originally implemented
the
pmemd bintraj config option default as nobintraj, and was intending to
leave
it that way based on a desire to make configuration simpler for the
novices
(heck, I am not sure how to config this stuff without looking at it
hard...). So I concur with the decision in sander, but at the same time
have a lot of enthusiasm for this stuff (great going, John M. and whoever
else was involved). The bintraj capabilities in pmemd will be available
the amber dev team at large when I do a drop at the end of the week.
Best Regards - Bob