amber-developers: Large File Support

From: John Mongan <jmongan.mccammon.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 19:36:22 -0700

Does anyone have any objection to me changing configure so that our C
based programs will be compiled with large file support (LFS)? This
would involve adding the following to CFLAGS:

-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE

When compiled this way, C programs (probably ptraj is the only one where
it really matters) on modern 32-bit *nix platforms can work with files
>2GB. This definitely works for ptraj on 32 bit linux. This should also
work on modern non-linux platforms (those that have LFS), but I don't
have access to any to test. On older platforms, it should have no effect.

(Note: this is orthogonal to the binary trajectory work I mentioned
earlier.)

Thoughts/discussion?

Thanks,

John