amber-developers: LFS Support

From: John Mongan <jmongan.mccammon.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 17:16:55 -0700

I have implemented the proposed Large File Support change in configure.
LFS is on by default. Based on list feedback, I have created an option,
-nolfs, which can be used to disable LFS.

I'm trying to minimize AMBER mailing list emails: I think there are
probably more people who will run into problems with files >2GB than
there are who will have problems with LFS, so I think we're better off
with it on by default.

Implementation notes:
This required more code changes in configure than might be expected.
Nearly every architecture section was zapping cflags, rather than
appending to what was already there. I had to change this in order to
make a global change to cflags. A number of sections (mostly those with
support for 32 and 64 bit compilation) were zapping cflags mutliple
times; for these I had to change the logic somewhat so they would
cleanly append to cflags.

I've tried to do this as carefully as possible, but I don't have all
these platforms and compilers to test with. Apologies in advance for any
problems I've introduced.

John