Re: amber-developers: weirdnesses in Langevin dynamics code

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 10:59:54 -0700

Folks -
Maybe there are some issues I am unaware of here, but a sequence of
pseudorandom numbers, starting with the same initial seed, should be very
deterministic, and I don't immediately see the problem with relying on
that.
The only way I could see problems, given that the code is all provided in
the app (as opposed to in libraries), would be if you had a heterogeneous
parallel run; ie., you were running on different types of platform. That
of
course would be disastrous, but I can think of lots of things that will
break if you do that (anywhere you rely on the same calculation on
different
nodes producing the same result).
Regards - Bob