Re: amber-developers: weirdnesses in Langevin dynamics code

From: John Mongan <jmongan.mccammon.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 12:39:20 -0700

Sorry -- I should have been more clear: the problem is not that the
stream of numbers is non-deterministic. The problem is that often people
write code that does things differently on different nodes (e.g. does
some computation on the master node that's not carried out on the other
nodes). If these things involve accessing the random number generator,
then although all nodes see the same sequence, they are at different
locations within that sequence, so when each node gets the "next" number
in the sequence, they don't all have the same number. If you assume or
enforce that all nodes must access the random stream the same number of
times, this isn't a problem, but I felt that would be a fragile
assumption that would lead to recurrent bugs with constant pH.

Hope that's more clear,

John

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 10:59, Robert Duke wrote:
> Folks -
> Maybe there are some issues I am unaware of here, but a sequence of
> pseudorandom numbers, starting with the same initial seed, should be
very
> deterministic, and I don't immediately see the problem with relying on
that.
> The only way I could see problems, given that the code is all provided
in
> the app (as opposed to in libraries), would be if you had a
heterogeneous
> parallel run; ie., you were running on different types of platform.
That of
> course would be disastrous, but I can think of lots of things that will
> break if you do that (anywhere you rely on the same calculation on
different
> nodes producing the same result).
> Regards - Bob

MPI