amber-developers: index command in sander?

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.ilion.bio.sunysb.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:32:43 -0700

does anyone know more details about the index() function used in sander?
it's in sander.f and other files. It looks like it takes 2 arguments and
returns a position into a character string. The problem is that I don't
know
if it's an intrinsic or not- I tried an identical command in a different
routine
and the link stage fails with a message saying index isn't a defined
function.
I don't see where it is defined in other places, though.
Also a concern is that the "index" variable name is used in other places
in sander, so if it's an intrinsic why isn't there a problem?
I must be missing some include file or something...
thanks
Carlos