amber-developers: updated "to-do" list for amber8

From: David A. Case <case.scripps.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:30:54 -0700

Folks:

Below, I have reproduced the amber8/TODO file from last June, and added
comments about how well the ideas were carried through, and what my
current
expectations are for the amber8 release. Please let the list know if you
see any place where my expectations are incorrect.

I think we should be pretty happy: a very large fraction of the things we
had hoped for last summer look like they will actually take place. A few
things (X-ray refinement, supporting TINKER and CHARMM force fields)
probably
won't make it, but there has neverthess been substantial progress in those
areas.

Several places say "need docs": this means both documentation, but also
examples and test suites. Please don't forget that telling others how to
use these programs is a key part of the development process.

My current plan is to freeze the code part of CVS on Jan. 1, 2004. After
that, any revisions will have to come through me first. I will leave
the documentation part open until Jan. 20, 2004. Please try to meet these
deadlines, and remember that there is a significant lead time in actually
producing the physical manuals.

Thanks for all of your work. I am pretty much relying upon each of you
to take responsibility for "your" things that are not yet done. (I will
send out a few additional, more specific e-mails about a small number of
open issues.) Also, please encourage people in your groups to be using
and testing amber8 as much as possible.

.regards...dac

=====

"To-do" + wish list for Amber8 (5 June 03)
Bracketed Comments ("[]") are Nov. 03 estimates of what will actually get
done

=====

1. Free energies:
    a. add support for umbrella sampling and WHAM analysis [done, needs
docs]
    b. re-incorporate OWFEG [will not get done]
    c. replica-exchange [Carlos, TEC groups working on this]
    d. deprecate gibbs -- get any essential functionality into sander
[done]

2 Implicit solvation models:
    a. constant pH simulation capability [done, needs docs]
    b. test Langevin simulations [code in, tests underway]
    c. put in a PB solver/reaction field [done, needs docs]
    d. GB-LES capability [done, needs docs]

3. Dynamics integrators:
    a. Add Nose-Hoover chains [will not get done]
    b. replace erfc splitting with one closer to 1 at small distances
       (for improved MTS) [Tom D. will consider; probably will not get
done]

4. NMR/X-ray refinement:
    a. Add in structure factors and their derivatives as restraints
         [not ready for amber8]
    b. put restraints into NMR*/ARIA-like format [will not get done]

5. LEAP/Antechamber:
    a. keep ResId around, make available to analysis programs [may get
done,
          Scott is looking at this]
    b. Update to gaff/2; check vs. many molecules [done, needs docs]

6. Allow users to "script" a sander run, rather than just doing one thing
    a. incorporate Joe's memory database [will not get done]
    b. create a driver with access to (most of) the internal data
structures
          [will not get done]

7. Speed and parallel efficiency:
    a. Spatial decomposition for parallel MD [done, needs more testing]
    b. reduce the amount of redundant calculation in sander TI calcs
         [probably will not get done]
    c. Use a non-bonded list for GB [will not get done]
    d. Tunings for intel processors; reduction of memory usage/cache
misses
         [done]

8. New/revised force fields:
    a. Carlos' GA revisions [don't know where this stands]
    b. Yong's new ff03 force field [done, needs docs]
    c. Develop a lipid force field for membrane simulations
         [will not get done]
    d. Integrate more with glycam [should get done, needs docs]
    e. TINKER force fields; better amber polarizable potentials
         [will not get done, but significant progress has been made]
    f. add CHARMM-style out-of-plane torsion; teach LEaP how to output
the
       proper prmtop file *OR* have a lower-level psf_to_prmtop converter
         [probably will not get done]

9 . General:
    a. remove rgroup(); replace with atom selection strings from ptraj
         [partially there, but needs significant work; may get done]
    b. combine ptraj/carnal/anal/nmanal [partially done, needs docs]
    c. better integration of sander and roar (esp. QM/MM mixing)
         [PSU group to get this done]
    d. more cleanly divide progs into GPL/non-GPL (or other open source)
         [not done yet, but will probably get done]

10. Publications:
    a. gaff paper; antechamber paper [gaff paper done, antechamber still
         in progress]
    b. review for Adv. Protein Chem. (in press) [done]

11. Documentation
    a. make all tutorials really work; update and add [ha! ha!, but maybe
         part of this will get done]
    b. put more "science" in the Users' Manual [partially done, needs much
         more]
    c. updates to the FAQ web pages [see comments to 11a]

=====

Potential significant new features for Amber 8:

  spatial decomposition; better parallel peformance [yes]
  X-ray refinement capability(?) [no]
  constant pH simulations [yes]
  GB/LES, better(?) GB [yes]
  Support for new force fields: ff03, glycam, CHARMM, AMOEBA, .... [yes]
  Junmei's Sybyl/GUI [??]
  QM/MM with AM1/PM3 [yes, I think]
  replica exchange, multisander [yes]
  new clustering, other trajectory analsysis routines [yes]

David A. Case                     |  e-mail:      case.scripps.edu