[AMBER-Developers] Holiday message for Amber developers

From: David A Case via AMBER-Developers <amber-developers.ambermd.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 09:11:59 -0500

Hi everyone, and happy holidays!

First: I want to thank everyone for your many efforts to make Amber a useful
package for many sorts of condensed-phase simulations. I know that I have
been remiss in not saying this more often. This project is definitely a
collective effort, and is completely dependent on your enthusiasm and
innovation.

Second: here is the gist of an announcment that will be placed on the Web
site and posted to the main mailing list later this week:

     License fees for Amber22 will change on April 15, 2023. The fee for
     not-for-profit users will be removed, and fees for for-profit users
     will become $25,000 USD for new licensees, and $20,000 for returning
     sites.

     The Amber development community wants to thank all those who have
     helped its development through past purchases, all of which go to
     support development and documention. We believe that we can maintain
     a high-quality and innovative code base going forward, while removing
     a significant financial barrier for academic and other not-for-profit
     users.

     Note there is no change to license itself, just to the license
     fee. AmberTools will continue to use the GNU General Public License
     (GPL), whereas Amber itself has own license. The main difference
     is that AmberTools can be modified and redistributed as allowed by
     the GPL, whereas Amber allows modifications but not redistribution.

Third: we need to be thinking about the content for AmberTools23, to be
released next April. I've prepared my own "wish-list", but everyone is
encouraged to help make this page better:

     https://ambermd.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Amber23

The password for editing the page is "pakrules".

Thanks again, and Happy New Year!.....dac