Re: [AMBER-Developers] multi gpu gromacs benchmarks

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 10:43:56 -0500

On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 8:44 AM Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk> wrote:

> And in there lies the real problem. IMHO benchmark numbers should be what
> the average user will get out of the box on reasonably priced hardware
> without tinkering. If you want numbers that are actually useful in the real
> world I'd suggest benchmarking by finding a grad student or postdoc who is
> using MD in their work but is not a developer. Give them a typical
> workstation that can be purchased for <$6K and a list of PDB IDs to run.
> Ask them to report back the performance they get with various codes.
>
> That will give you a real world benchmark that is actually useful.

for running MD codes on commodity workstations purchased for <$6K.
Otherwise you'd need to run the benchmark on whatever hardware you actually
plan on using for them to be actually useful. [1]

You'll obviously get some performance variability when performance depends
on so many things, but to declare that the only useful benchmarks are those
that run under conditions known to be optimal for one code at the expense
of another is disingenuous. [2] All benchmarks are useful [3] if you know
how to read them and understand the caveats (I'd wager most people do to a
reasonable extent). Performance differences that don't come close to an
order of magnitude won't do all that much to move the needle. You aren't
going to go from the us -> ms regime by running 50% faster.

Dhruv, I'd be interested in seeing those benchmarks.

Thanks,
Jason

[1] For narrow definitions of "useful"
[2] Recall the only benchmarks we published pre-2012 were performed on
supercomputers
[3] In the sense that it allows you to make more informed choices