Re: [AMBER-Developers] Synchronizing sander &debugf functionality with new(er) CHARMM force field terms

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 11:44:30 -0500

Not a problem for CMAPs per se--just that if you want to debug the forces
that come out of *sander*, you cannot do it easily for a CMAP potential
calculator that you have written. *Sander*'s &debugf module will not
produce CMAP forces (or the energy they entail) in a transparent way. I
can create a system with no vdW or charge parameters (as I think I modified
the alanine dipeptide model included in this thread), such that it has
bond, angle, dihedral, and ff19SB CMAP properties. I can then compute the
bond, angle, and dihedral energies with some alternative program, and
compare them to the &debugf forcedump.dat output. The energies I compute
match the results printed in *sander* mdout, and all of the forces match
the results in forcedump.dat EXCEPT FOR the forces on atoms involved in the
CMAP term. The discrepancy is maintained throughout all of the various
force terms, and even the electrostatic and vdW forces (which should not
exist) show the same discrepancy in the atoms affected by the CMAP term for
the central alanine residue. When I compute the CMAPs with a program like
*mdgx* and reach in to have them printed from the actual force loop, they
match the discrepancy in the *sander* &debugf forcedump.dat output, and my
own program's forces now match that signal as well, so I am pretty
confident I am properly computing the CMAP derivatives and forces.

But, *sander*'s &debugf module should get an update to be consistent with
all of the valence (and probably 12-6-4 non-bonded) terms that the program
really knows.

See you around,
Dave