Re: [AMBER-Developers] Biggest cutoff plus skin combo?

From: Scott Le Grand <varelse2005.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 12:54:08 -0700

So...

New half-cell NL code is a 10% loss at 8A cutoff, break-even at 10A, and
seemingly ~2x faster at 12A. What does this mean? It means I can't get rid
of the old code, but I need to switch between new and old based on nonbond
cutoff plus skin. It's vastly more efficient memory-use wise, but at lower
cutoffs, the cell occupancy is ~11 atoms and that cuts performance in half,
landing at a ~10% slowdown. Getting really tired of Brand X benchmarks
playing games with skipping the Ewald Sum, weird timesteps, and higher
cutoffs. The original code was tuned to 8A because that's what mattered at
the time and now in the future, it's time to future proof.

I have some ideas beyond this, but I'm calling this a win and moving
towards new multi-GPU stuff on the way to adding back SoftCore TI inside
the much 30+% more efficient code.

Scott