Re: [AMBER-Developers] GPU timings

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 18:23:21 -0400

Hi Tom,

A40 is a slightly under-clocked passive cooled version of the A6000 which in turn is a 48GB 2 slot (TDP limited) version of the RTX3090 (with GDDR6 instead of GDDR6X memory) which makes it approximately mid way between a 3080 and a 3090.

Here's some RTX-A6000 numbers.

RTX-A6000
JAC Production NVE 4fs 1101.29
JAC Production NPT 4fs 1084.37
JAC Production NVE 2fs 586.09
JAC Production NPT 2fs 560.05
FactorIX Production NVE 2fs 256.10
FactorIX Production NPT 2fs 241.63
Cellulose Production NVE 2fs 59.52
Cellulose Production NPT 2fs 55.50
STMV Production NPT 4fs 37.01
TRPCage GB 2fs 1166.26
Myoglobin GB 2fs 650.48
Nucleosome GB 2fs 20.37

I'd expect the A40 to be ~5% slower than the A6000.

The A30 and A10s look like Whimpy and Ultra Whimpy GPUs respectively. Their clock speed is about 60% of a 3090 and they have substantially less FP32 units. These look like they are built out of whatever sawdust they managed to sweep up off the floor of the fab after they cut out the dies that work. I wouldn't hold out much expectation of performance. If you don't need the 24GB on these cards you are probably much better off just going with RTX-3070s. You can still get these in 4 and 8 way compatible 2 slot blower versions that are not yet "Banned by NVIDIA(tm)". Here's the 3070 numbers (Very cost effective):

RTX-3070
JAC Production NVE 4fs 950.17
JAC Production NPT 4fs 930.30
JAC Production NVE 2fs 502.13