Re: [AMBER-Developers] Cmake: How does it work?

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 20:12:16 -0400

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020, Scott Le Grand wrote:

>So I am getting weird crap with the cmake path to building AMBER, what am I
>doing wrong here?

I find the only thing to do is to post your run_cmake script, and the
cmake.log file that it puts out. The answer is almost always in there.

The top of the cmake.log file says this:

-- For how to use this build system, please read this wiki:
-- http://ambermd.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CMake
-- For a list of important CMake variables, check here:
-- http://ambermd.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CMake-Common-Options

Those are great pages, and there are others on the wiki that help a lot,
including an FAQ:

    https://ambermd.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CMake-Quick-Start

> CMake Warning:
> Manually-specified variables were not used by the project:
>
> COMPILER
> CUDA
> DOWNLOAD_MINICONDA
> INSTALL_TESTS
> MINICONDA_USE_PY3
> MPI

This is very odd: are you sure there were no messages in the cmake.log
output that reported any errors?

>If the cmake build report looks OK, you should now do the following:
>
> make install
> source /media/work/slegrand/amber20/amber.sh

It would be great to make this message better (volunteers??) You actually
have to look at the cmake build report (in cmake.log, and also sent to the
screen,) to see if there are errors. Somehow the script that writes the
message should be able to figure out if there were errors or not. In Scott's
case, there actually must have been errors, since no Makefile was created.

...hope this helps....dac