Re: [AMBER-Developers] Cmake: How does it work?

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.iqb.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 17:53:18 -0400

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 02:27:41PM -0700, Scott Le Grand wrote:
> So I am getting weird crap with the cmake path to building AMBER, what am I
> doing wrong here?
>
> And so begins:
> slegrand.delos:/media/work/slegrand/amber/build$ ./run_cmake
> -- The C compiler identification is GNU 5.5.0
> -- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 5.5.0
> -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
> -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
> -- Detecting C compiler ABI info
> -- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
> -- Detecting C compile features
> -- Detecting C compile features - done
> -- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
> -- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
> -- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
> -- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
> -- Detecting CXX compile features
> -- Detecting CXX compile features - done
> CMake Warning (dev) in CMakeLists.txt:
> No cmake_minimum_required command is present. A line of code such as
>
> cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.5)
>
> should be added at the top of the file. The version specified may be
> lower
> if you wish to support older CMake versions for this project. For more
> information run "cmake --help-policy CMP0000".
> This warning is for project developers. Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.
>
> -- Configuring done
> -- Generating done
> CMake Warning:
> Manually-specified variables were not used by the project:
>
> COMPILER
> CUDA
> DOWNLOAD_MINICONDA
> INSTALL_TESTS
> MINICONDA_USE_PY3
> MPI
>

> -- Build files have been written to: /media/work/slegrand/amber/build
>
> If the cmake build report looks OK, you should now do the following:
>
> make install
> source /media/work/slegrand/amber20/amber.sh
>
> Consider adding the last line to your login startup script, e.g. ~/.bashrc
>
> slegrand.delos:/media/work/slegrand/amber/build$ make install
> make: *** No rule to make target 'install'. Stop.

Here's what i had in my ./run_cmake when i recently built with cmake:
===
else

# Assume this is Linux:

  cmake $AMBER_PREFIX/cmake \
    -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$AMBER_PREFIX/amber20 \
    -DCOMPILER=GNU \
    -DMPI=FALSE -DCUDA=TRUE -DINSTALL_TESTS=TRUE \
    -DDOWNLOAD_MINICONDA=TRUE -DMINICONDA_USE_PY3=TRUE \
    2>&1 | tee cmake.log

fi
===

What i would like to know from the cmake builders is a simple way to
find all the -D things that i can specify because beta release testing
showed those were the way to fix things. cmake --help and a few other
variants didn't do it.

As for helping you, I'm sure that the real helpers will first ask you
to send your cmake.log.

Is that all that cmake emitted ?
If so then something big is amuck. In my cmake.log:

-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
-- Check for working Fortran compiler: /apps/gnu/8.1.0/bin/gfortran

c make run
...)-
scott