[AMBER-Developers] Please avoid DOS line endings

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2020 08:47:15 -0500

Hi All,

Today I encountered a nasty issue merging the master branch into a
branch I'm developing on. The problem was
src/pmemd/src/mdin_ctrl_dat.F90 now has DOS line endings in the master
branch, so when I try to merge the master version (with DOS) into mine
(without DOS) GIT gets confused and thinks the master version is
completely different, and the merge fails completely (I end up with
both versions of the file).

It's possible to get around this with:

git merge -s recursive -Xignore-space-at-eol master

but in my opinion this is a hack and shouldn't be part of regular
development workflow.

So please, if at all possible, avoid committing files with DOS line endings :-)

-Dan