Re: [AMBER-Developers] Request for testing new cuda code updates

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 15:18:24 -0500

Thanks for spurring action on this. We should even update one more thing
in configure2, that is commitment to consistent code/arch settings for each
compiled executable. Thanks to Peng Wang's commits, we are now in
compliance with the new thread model and no longer have to do this
sm60/sm70 or sm61/sm75 workaround. There is no speed advantage to it
anymore, either. Overall, because we were always so good about writing
code that executed well under warp-synchronous constraints, we lose a bit
due to the versatility CUDA 9 and 10 have introduced. __syncwarp() is
tedium for us, but a vital component of many other codes that people would
like to write on GPUs. The loss is minor, and in time the cards will just
keep getting bigger and faster, so we'll take this all in stride.

Dave