[AMBER-Developers] Jenkins and continuous integration

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2018 16:50:26 -0400

Hi everyone,

For those of you that have started using GitLab, I hope the migration and
new experience with GitLab has been simple and positive.

One of the features of this new tool is the use of Jenkins as a continuous
integration server. For those unfamiliar with the term, what that means is
that code is tested continuously -- changes are proposed to the master
branch via merge requests (or pull requests in GitHub parlance) but never
pushed directly to master. Before anybody is permitted to merge any of
these changes into master, it must first pass through a testing pipeline
which is run on Jenkins.

Jenkins makes sure that the code builds and the tests pass successfully
before marking the job "successful" and allowing someone to merge the
change.

For now, the Jenkins server I've configured to support the new Amber GitLab
server is hosted at https://jenkins.jasonswails.com.

A change I made today is that Jenkins now uses GitLab as an identity
provider -- that is, you log into jenkins.jasonswails.com through
gitlab.ambermd.org (and your Amber GitLab login). If you raise a merge
request, you should see a link with the pipeline status. You can now
follow that link to see the logs for the build. This can help you
determine what may have gone wrong (or the progress of the build if it's
not yet complete).

All the best,