[AMBER-Developers] Please be careful in updating Amber.lyx and amber.bib

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 09:11:44 -0400

Hi everyone:

While I am strongly encouraging people to update the manuals, we need to
be careful in doing so:

1. *Never* copy a file from outside a git working directory into one.
That runs the big risk of blowing away any changes that were made after
you took your copy of (say) Amber.lyx and worked on somewhere else. Git
can't tell the difference between accidental and intentional changes
that blow away earlier revisions. If you make your edits inside a
working directory, git will not let you commit until you pull in all
revisions.

2. Beyond item 1, do a "git diff Amber.lyx" before committing any
changes: look to see that the all the revisions to the file are indeed
the ones you intended to make. Remember that people are making changes
to the manual daily, so you have to pull often and take special care
that you are not making changes you don't want to make.

...thanks...dac