Re: [AMBER-Developers] Please read: we need to look at pmemd.cuda pair list fidelity

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 10:42:57 -0500

Hi,

I'm still not sure I understand what the problem is. Right now to me
it sounds like what we are missing is a bad input trap here (you
should never be setting the NB skin too small etc).

That said, If I take the parameters you gave in your last example
(cutoff 7.0 Ang., nonbond skin 0.5001, truncated octahedron with
lengths = 33.81) and use sander's pairlist setup routine I get 11
cells in each dimension with individual cell separations of 2.51 Ang..
With the hardcoded cell search dimension of 3 (at least in sander, not
sure about pmemd) that means the smallest so-called subcell cutoff is
7.53 Ang, which is larger than cut+skinnb, so no interactions should
be omitted. Maybe I'm missing something though...

> A lot of study, and posts to a subset of the developers, happened before I made this thread on the actual listserv.

You've clearly done a lot of work on this which is great. However,
considering how critical building the pairlist is, we should be
absolutely certain what the issue is before we go changing test cases
etc. Could you send me off-list one or two of the problem systems so I
can run some tests as well? I feel like the more people we throw at
this issue the quicker it can get fixed.

Thanks!

-Dan