Re: [AMBER-Developers] Please read: we need to look at pmemd.cuda pair list fidelity

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 01:00:24 -0500

Hi Chris,

If you look in the non-bonded loop kernel kNLCPNE.h, on or about lines
564-587 you will find the following code:

      // Translate all atoms into a local coordinate system within one unit
      // cell of the first atom read to avoid PBC handling within inner
loops
      int cell = shAtom.ID & NLATOM_CELL_TYPE_MASK;
#if defined(PME_VIRIAL) && defined(PME_IS_ORTHOGONAL)
      shAtom.x += sUcellf[0] * cSim.cellOffset[cell][0];
      shAtom.y += sUcellf[4] * cSim.cellOffset[cell][1];
      shAtom.z += sUcellf[8] * cSim.cellOffset[cell][2];
#else
      shAtom.x += cSim.cellOffset[cell][0];
      shAtom.y += cSim.cellOffset[cell][1];
      shAtom.z += cSim.cellOffset[cell][2];
#endif
#ifndef PME_IS_ORTHOGONAL
  #ifdef PME_VIRIAL
      shAtom.x = sUcellf[0]*shAtom.x + sUcellf[1]*shAtom.y +
sUcellf[2]*shAtom.z;
      shAtom.y = sUcellf[4]*shAtom.y + sUcellf[5]*shAtom.z;
      shAtom.z = sUcellf[8]*shAtom.z;
  #else
      shAtom.x = cSim.ucellf[0][0]*shAtom.x + cSim.ucellf[0][1]*shAtom.y +
                 cSim.ucellf[0][2]*shAtom.z;
      shAtom.y = cSim.ucellf[1][1]*shAtom.y + cSim.ucellf[1][2]*shAtom.z;
      shAtom.z = cSim.ucellf[2][2]*shAtom.z;
  #endif
#endif

There's a lot of pre-processor stuff there to make different kernels when
there is or is not a virial, when the box is orthogonal or not. Beyond
that, this only appears once we get past the "home tiles" when atoms from
the same hash cell are interacting (that's a nearly identical block of code
on lines 210-550). Atoms in the home tile are already within one (cutoff +
pair list margin) of each other and so do not have to be further imaged.
But atoms from separate hash cells do need to be re-imaged. Look at the
comment: that was written by the original author, and while I have
overhauled the non-bonded loop quite a bit over the past eight months that
aspect of it has remained.

Imagine what would happen if you've only got two hash cells in any one box
dimension. When atoms from two hash cells along that dimension interact
with one another, there will be one collection of them from each hash cell,
and all atoms will be imaged with respect to the position of the first atom
in the first collection. Now imagine that the collections each roughly
span their hash cell--the Hilbert space filling curve tries to avoid this
sort of thing but it may happen that the collection of atoms selected by
the snakes around a bit. The idea is that, between them, the atoms in both
collections span the simulation box making a chain of sorts from one side
to the other, but they're all getting imaged with respect to just one
atom. The imaged atoms on the far ends of the chain will register in the
non-bonded loop as being well outside the cutoff and therefore
non-interacting, but in fact they're really close to one another as could
be seen if the imaging were done differently, or done for every dx, dy, dz
the code computes (this of course would go against the very spirit of the
comment--image once to avoid handling Periodic Boundary Conditions in the
inner loops). The PBCs are handled once for every 32 interactions and so
hardly make a dent in the performance--it's probably cheaper to do it that
way than the ghost atoms I'm preparing in my new formulation. But, if
you're only two hash cells thick, my feeling is that you can't image just
once and forget about it.

There may be other aspects of Scott's pair list that I haven't yet taken
into account, and I see that he makes a note if there is a "SMALL_BOX"
condition but I haven't yet understood what differences that leads to.
It's therefore plausible to me that I am not fully understanding his method
and that he does have a mechanism in there to accommodate this, but
ultimately the non-bonded forces need to be computed by kNLCPNE.h and I
don't see SMALL_BOX doing anything at that level. Hence, I'm worried, but
not entirely sure yet that there is a problem.

You are from Los Alamos. This is where my parents live.

Dave

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 12:24 AM, Neale, Christopher Andrew <cneale.lanl.gov