Re: [AMBER-Developers] New pmemd-GTI branch available for testing

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2017 13:35:45 -0500

I think this is some great work from Taisung, and he has taught me a number
of things about CUDA and C++. I think that the gpuContext consolidation is
definitely something that should be carried through to master, and I
believe that the linking will help debugging (the CUDA debugger has
requirements about things be compiled simultaneously).

While I am not yet ready to take a side on which TI implementation, I will
say that I've managed to integrate the AFE code from SDSC into some of my
new code and it has been cleanly integrated. Having a separate part of the
program handle TI and perform transactions with the equilibrium MD code (as
opposed to embedding the calculations in the workflow) will impose a
cost--no one can reach in and extract information for additional
computations as quickly as they could be done within the context of the
primary MD kernels--but that cost appears to be small, and an apparatus
that reaches in and extracts such information would serve as a model for
future program extensions. There are features of each code not found in
the other: the Berendsen barostat is supported by pmemd-GTI while MBAR is
supported by the AFE code.

Merry Christmas all,

Dave