Re: [AMBER-Developers] pmemd external force

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2017 07:32:55 -0400

Hi Sergio,

I see Josh already responded but in addition to what he said note that the use of gpu_download and gpu_upload are really intended just to be used for simplifying development / debugging. They are not designed to be used in production code since it adds a huge amount of overhead and puts computation load on the CPU - which is, by design, only serial. Plus we encourage people when building machines for AMBER GPU to spec them with low end CPUs to save on cost so you cannot assume that a machine running AMBER on GPUs will have fast CPUs.

The correct approach is to get the basic elements working and check an algorithmic approach is valid using the download / upload routines and then to write a CUDA kernel for the method, call that instead of the upload and download and then remove the upload and download routines.

All the best
Ross