Re: [AMBER-Developers] problems in buildling pbsa.cuda

From: Ruxi Qi <ruxiq.uci.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 15:59:52 -0700

Hi Dave and All,

Here are some clarifications regarding this intel compiler error.

1. I once encountered the same error. Indeed, this error is not because
of linking CUSP library. It's nvcc that complains the outdated ICC
version. Per the Nvidia official documents, CUDA 7.5 only supports ICC
15.0.0, as shown bellow:

And for comparison, CUDA-8.0 only supports ICC 15 & 16, as shown bellow:

2. Many CUDA applications DO work fine with other and even lower ICC
versions. The way to bypass this is to manually comment out the
error-reporting line in the /usr/local/CUDA-7.5/include/host_config.h,
which is a macro check of __ICC. However, this may put the program
running at unknown risk as said by Nvidia folks.

3. Adding a --no-pbsa.cuda option is good for safety's sake in this
release. I agree with Hai that we may put it built as default, since it
generally follows the Nvidia CUDA installation rule.

4. Before 3 is available, Brent, could you also try compiling a CUDA-7.5
sample, say in /usr/local/cuda-7.5/samples, with the same environment?
And probably also try compiling Amber16 as well for double check. :)

Thanks!

Ruxi