Re: [AMBER-Developers] AmberTools17, intel, -mkl vs setting MKL_HOME

From: Hai Nguyen <nhai.qn.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 16:35:14 -0400

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 4:18 PM, Scott Brozell <sbrozell.rci.rutgers.edu>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1. This is a relatively recent change since i frequently configure with
> -mkl and various forms of python without this problem. So probably the
> best to investigate are those that have made recent python building
> changes.

Can you "ldd lib/libsander.so" to see if it is linked to lib_mkl_core.so?
Likely the libsander.so issue rather python binding.

> 2. For this build ./configure -mkl intel
> I get a lot of hits grepping for getenv and then only 1 for grepping that
> for mkl:
> Binary file ./miniconda/pkgs/scipy-0.19.0-np112py27_nomkl_0/lib/python2.
> 7/site-packages/scipy/sparse/_
> sparsetools.so matches

Just FYI: If install python via Miniconda, numpy and scipy will be
installed without mkl (I added "nomkl" option
since MKL package added about 100 MB for miniconda build (got complain
about size before).

> 3.
> IMO we should be encouraging use the -mkl compiler flag.
> The -mkl approach is far superior to MKL_HOME because the former follows
> the principle of information hiding and the latter typically forces at
> least
> someone to decrypt the mess of details of mkl .a's and .so's.

I agree.

Hai