Re: [AMBER-Developers] PBSA license

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 15:38:47 -0400

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 2:33 PM, Hai Nguyen <nhai.qn.gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >From AmberTools/LICENSE
>
> > The sander and mdgx codes are provided under the GNU Lesser
>
> > General Public License, version 3. See GNU_LGPL_v3 in this directory.
>
> > (This is to allow libsander and libmdgx to be linked to other programs
>
> > that might not be licensed under the GNU GPL.)
>
> However, for the regular install, libsander is linked to pbsa, which holds
> GPL v3 license.
>
> Native question: Should we be clear that user should exclude linking to
> pbsa if he/she wants to use LGPL v3?

​Ugh. Mixed licensing should be avoided if possible. sander sans PBSA
wouldn't even work, so either everything is GPL or everything is L-GPL.

I recall a conversation regarding Fireball (ca. late July 2015)​ where
there was some discussion about what licensing to use.

But I think it's worth deciding on L-GPL (support linking to non-free
programs) or GPL (and not).

Note that releasing AmberTools under GPLv2/3 doesn't mean you can't release
a component separately under L-GPL (as is currently done with ParmEd).

Good catch, Hai.

Thanks,