Re: [AMBER-Developers] simplified install process (e.g: no AMBERHOME, no sourcing amber.sh)

From: Hai Nguyen <nhai.qn.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 01:15:26 -0500

hi Scott,

1. Per FEW error, please git clean your repo:

cd $AMBERHOME
git clean -fdx . # my favorite command to "veryclean"

# and redo the install again.
PS: Here is the reason why:
Originally, $AMBERHOME/bin/FEW.pl is just a symlink to
AmberTools/src/FEW/FEW.pl

I made change to make sure FEW.pl in bin folder is a actually a copy.

If your old "FEW.pl" (which is a symlink) still in bin/ folder, you'll get
the error "are the same file".

2. Per nab stuff (and antechamber, tleap...): If you use --skip-python,
"nab" will never be wrapped, it's still it.
And with that option, if you still got the "wrapped" script, that's
actually a bug and need to be fixed.

e.g: here the lines in nab's Makefile

$(BINDIR)/$(MPI)nab$(SFX)::

   [......]

    if [ "$(SKIP_PYTHON)" = "no" ]; then \

        $(PYTHON) $(PATCH_AMBERHOME_SCRIPT) $(AMBER_PREFIX)/bin/nab
$(AMBER_PREFIX)/bin; fi
There is no special reason to why not using simple bash for wrapping nab
(setting PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH).
Originally I only make the wrapper for binary conda distribution
(Python-based). Dave preferred to have both source code and
binary distribution, so I went ahead update my change for conda build for
amber git too. I am not good at shell script, so I don't know potential
harm if using my "bash" script for different Linux distributions. So I just
used Python that I felt confidence to write code ( and the wrapper scripts
do work).

But if you and any one can write bash wrapper and willing to maintain it, I
am happy with that (I care more about final product rather than about a
specific language).

> It is not good practice to do everything
  with one tool only because one does not know or does not want to learn
another.

Yes, I absolutely agree with you.

Hai