Re: [AMBER-Developers] simplified install process (e.g: no AMBERHOME, no sourcing amber.sh)

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 22:46:14 -0500

Try supporting 1000+ systems with varying OS versions, flavors and language locales and hundreds of different applications needed including things like Tensorflow, CNTK, Theano, pycaffe and many different versions to boot etc and then competing installation methods like yum, apt-get, pip, anaconda that don't play well with each other etc, absolutely awful backwards compatibility and error messages that resemble what would happen if the cookie monster had one too many tequila shots and you will very quickly realize that the whole python infrastructure is an autistic nightmare! Things like Docker etc are just extra levels of complexity that act as poorly performing chemo that shouldn't be needed in the first place.

Sure it's easy to use and what people are encouraged to go to first - I have no problem with that. It's the infrastructure that is a nightmare - but hey I guess it keeps people employed.

My 0.02 btc.