Re: [AMBER-Developers] Should we add more troubleshooting to the Makefile?

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 14:17:27 -0500

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 1:37 PM, David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com> wrote:

> What I was planning was that there would be two options: configure with
> -showobj to get the one-line reports of each object, configure with
> -showrecipe to get the original output.

​The names are not particularly intuitive. Why not have one option,
"--quiet-build" or something, that turns on this "quiet" version? Most
users will pay no attention regardless of how "clean" the output is, and if
they have to copy-and-paste error messages to us when they ask questions,
I'd rather not have to ask them to reconfigure and recompile with
-showrecipe first?

That way, people that want to keep the original output can, and those that
don't can opt in to --quiet-build.

That said, keep in mind that we have so many options already that Dave is
already trying to deep-6 some of them. This personally sounds like yet
another one of those features that Dave will ask in 3 years "can we just
get rid of this?"​, since it's maintenance effort for a feature few are
likely to use (just my prediction).

All the best,
Jason