Re: [AMBER-Developers] Should we add more troubleshooting to the Makefile?

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 13:22:13 -0500

My 2c: I agree with Jason here. Seeing the full compile command is
invaluable in tracking down problems. When something breaks you can
easily find out which directory it happened in and can execute the
exact command that failed to simplify debugging. Trapping errors is
easy:

make install 2> compile.err

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 11:58 AM, David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com> wrote:

> Building [MDGX] with:
> Compiler = /opt/software/GCC/4.9/bin/gcc
> COPTFLAGS = -O3 -mtune=native
> CFLAGS = -fPIC -g -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -DBINTRAJ -DHASGZ -DHASBZ2 -D__PLUMED_HAS_DLOPEN
> LDFLAGS =
> LIBDIR = /mnt/home/cerutti/amber/lib

If this fails then I actually have to do some work to reconstruct the
actual command that failed. Granted it's not a lot of work, but with
the current output I can just copy and paste. Also, not every part of
Amber uses config.h variables in a sane way, and some programs (like
pmemd) have their own variables that they use, so the Makefile output
will have to be custom for many programs, which could be hard to
maintain if anything changes.

My vote is for the status quo. If others really disagree I at least
want an option to get the verbose output back.

-Dan