Re: [AMBER-Developers] Should we add more troubleshooting to the Makefile?

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 11:03:34 -0500

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 10:34 AM, Gerald Monard <
Gerald.Monard.univ-lorraine.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This idea is just to replace something like:
> gfortran -Wall -Wno-unused-function -DBINTRAJ -DEMIL -c -O3
> -mtune=native -fPIC -ffree-form -I../pbsa -I../sqm -I../rism
> -I../../../include -I/home/amber/amber/amber-local-master/include
> -I/home/amber/amber/amber-local-master/include -DRISMSANDER -o
> qm_ewald.o qm_ewald.F90

​I realize that -- what I was saying is that the paths and options printed
here (but not below) have often been helpful when I've debugged and
modified the build. There's a lot of information that's hidden by the
"cleansed" version below, and my point is that, in my experience, that
information has been useful on multiple occasions.​

by something like:

> [SANDER] [F90] [OPT] qm_ewald.F90
>
> not to silence the full compilation command.
> That way, I think that it's easier to see warnings and errors.
> This is also not something uncommon, the linux kernel does it, mpich
> does it, etc.

​I've seen considerably fewer projects do this than not (and on my Linux
OS, *everything* is built from source).​ And given how nonstandard our
build is, I think this information is correspondingly more valuable. It
does make some warnings harder to see (but not errors, since those break
the build -- I've *never* had trouble losing errors in a verbose build).
But it's trivial to turn warnings into errors (which is what I did to fix
most of sander's compiler warnings).

I don't do much with Amber as a whole anymore, so if I'm the only one that
used to benefit from the verbose compiler output, then by all means
suppress it. But I doubt I'm the only one. If people that work on the
build process find it helpful (which is typically a small number of
people), then it's probably worth actively *not* changing it.

Just my 2c,