Re: [AMBER-Developers] Tutorials, II

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 13:28:55 -0400

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016, Dave Cerutti wrote:

> All right, thanks for the outpouring of support. I will explain briefly
> some of what I had been trying to accomplish.

Thanks for your careful looks at the tutorial web page. Some comments are
interspersed below.

> *- Single page format is too long.*

I basically agree here.

Can we get a visually attractive top-level ToC? The existing boxes and
ToC images are not perfect, but they do add visual interest and separate
one entry from the next one. Is there some analogue for a new ToC page?
And, let's try to keep the number of sub-ToC's as small as we can (that
still makes sense.)

> There are also logistical considerations. If everything is on one
> page, that means that all 49 ToC images have to be transferred when the
> page loads. People look at this site on their mobile devices,....

If some of the ToC graphics are too big, we should pare them down, in my view.
A ToC graphic should be small. If there is a neat figure that illustrates
something important, put it into the tutorial proper.

Supporting mobile devices is a large-ish ask, and would probably involve
a major effort spanning the entire site. Let's see if we can fix the
tutorials first.

> ....the fonts need to change. The Sans-Serif headings contrasting
> with the serif text is odd, but the italicized blue serif links do not fare
> well on top of the textured grey background. This is a computational
> chemistry package, and we often express ideas in which commas and tick
> marks matter. They get lost against the textured background and they can
> blend in with serif fonts, especially if italics are in play. People who
> know the material may not see a problem, but they're also not the ones who
> need to read the pages.

OK: I hadn't realized the problem of the texture background interfering with
seeing commas and tick-marks. I'd like to have a common background image, and
suggestions are welcome.

Sans-serif headlines combined with serif text is not "odd": is is a very
common standard (see, e.g. the Manual, which uses the koma-script LateX
defaults.) But using better colors is fine, and even different fonts, if that
is what people want. However, I'd like to have a common "amber.css" file,
rather than a "tutorial.css" file that is only used for part of the site.

Maybe the simplest thing is to create a git branch where suggested pages could
go; those could then be easily merged into the master branch as people agree
on what should be done.

Thanks again to Dave for looking into this, and for continuing to pursue it.

...dac