Re: [AMBER-Developers] integer limit for nstlim

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 22:10:02 -0700

Short answer = yes.

Long answer = this should strictly be an unsigned int - so 4Gig steps although right now it is signed so 2gig steps. We could change this to long long and make it 64 bit which would allow many many more steps but there are almost certainly other 32 bit shorts down the line where this variable is used / compared too so it would likely take quite a lot of code auditing to figure it all out.

Just tell the student they should just add more water to their system so it has more atoms and then the simulation will take longer so they won't be able to do as many steps. ;-)

All the best
Ross