Re: [AMBER-Developers] AMBER Master Branch

From: Benny1 M <benny1.m.tcs.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2016 16:00:19 +0530

OpenMP does not come into play in PME on host and hence there is not much
change in performance,
or in the way the AMBER is run.

Running PME:
        export I_MPI_PIN_MODE=pm
        export I_MPI_PIN_DOMAIN=auto
        mpirun -np NSOCKETS * NCORES_PER_SOCKET \
        $AMBERHOME/bin/pmemd.MPI

On the other hand MPI-communication in GB workload has been reduced by
using minimal MPI ranks and
more OpenMP threads. This improves single node performance as well as
helps in scaling across nodes.
Improvement is seen in mid to large size workloads like nucleosome(~25K
atoms) and rubisco( ~75K atoms).
Try using IntelMPI + OpenMP and let us know if any issues are faced.

Running GB:
        export I_MPI_PIN_MODE=pm
        export I_MPI_PIN_DOMAIN=auto
                mpirun -np NSOCKETS \
        -env OMP_NUM_THREADS=NCORES_PER_SOCKET*2 \
        -env KMP_AFFINITY="scatter,granularity=core" \
        -env KMP_STACKSIZE=10M \
        $AMBERHOME/bin/pmemd.MPI

- Benny