Re: [AMBER-Developers] Parallel make failing

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 12:55:08 -0400

On Thu, May 26, 2016, Ray Luo wrote:

> Okay, I've just confirmed again that I can
> make -j 32 install
> if I turned off python building. I don't know too much how the python
> part is built ... Please take a look of the dependence relations
> related to python building.

First: note that the parallel failure is sporadic--depends on which processes
get done first. (The problem may still be with the python part, but you might
try several builds, or different values for the -j parameter).

Second: while you are looking at all of this: it would be great if we could
fix the fact that pbsa is *always* recompiled, even if it has just been
compiled on the previous command. This is because the make system can't
figure out if the object files are for the sander build or for the standalone
pbsa build. Ideally, we wouldn't need the ifdef's at all. Less ideally,
the object files for sander would have a *.SANDER.o filename (or similar)
so that object file names would not have conflicts. Is this feasible?

...thx..dac