Re: [AMBER-Developers] ioutfm = 0

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 21:43:42 -0800

> On Feb 26, 2016, at 9:40 PM, Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 12:24 AM, Hai Nguyen <nhai.qn.gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Never mind, I think you meant to reply to Gerald but actually quoted me.
>>

> ​I was anticipating the argument that you would only have to store *one*
> uncompressed ASCII trajectory at a time (since you'd compress before
> writing another one), so you'd still get net savings in disk space. But
> you pay for that disk space savings by sacrificing data (and in some cases,
> trajectory integrity).
>
> Your point is certainly valid that Amber can't write compressed ASCII
> trajectories directly (cpptraj can :)). All told, the benefits of ioutfm=1
> *far* outweigh the benefits of ioutfm=0. ioutfm=1 is a much more sensible
> default.

Is there any real benefit we could gain from compressed netcdf trajectories? (and restarts)? in pmemd. I am guessing they don't compress much but it might help on performance on systems with slow disk access? - Also is there support for writing netcdf files in parallel? We could 'potentially' avoid a coordinate reduction if we could write out in parallel but still get a single coherent netcdf file.

All the best
Ross

/\
\/