Re: [AMBER-Developers] git logs and squashing commits

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 10:06:34 -0700

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 6:06 AM, David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> About testing before commits to a master branch: we have never had a set of
> tests for (say) sander that all PASS on more than about one platform. And
> it's not just laziness -- there are some real difficulties involved for
> chaotic MD simulations. Even cpptraj shows a number of test failures on my
> machines, just to illustrate the difficulties involved here. travis-CI is not
> a magic bullet.

If you're talking about the failures on OSX, I just want to point out
Travis-CI did actually catch these
(https://github.com/Amber-MD/cpptraj/pull/252). I'm still working on a
nice way to detect round-off errors in the cpptraj tests when not a
part of AmberTools (I think easiest way is to just include a copy of
ndiff.awk to use when not in AT). If you're seeing failures somewhere
else let me know so I can fix them (hopefully before end of the day!).

-Dan

> Finally, we should keep in mind that there can be a downside to making it more
> onerous to complete a commit: people will continue to work in their own
> branches, and we don't get as much effective testing because fewer people are
> using the code. Just saying that the test cases pass is generally not
> enough--having the code actually being used a lot in real world applications
> is also needed. We've had plenty of cases where code gets committed to meet a
> release deadline, and passes tests, but has unidentified flaws or limitations
> because it has only been used by one or two people, and on a very limited
> number of applications.
>
> (I know I'm contributing to what is already a long-winded conversation; but I
> think this is good, since there won't be time in March to go over all these
> issues...)
>
> ...dac

Daniel R. Roe, PhD
Department of Medicinal Chemistry