Re: [AMBER-Developers] git logs and squashing commits

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 20:30:54 -0800

I'm sold on the github idea - you don't have to convince me here. Although I do have concerns over the long term viability of github as a service provider especially the long term economics of the continuous integration. Note I am also not convinced that enforcing the escrow will solve everything since it doesn't fix the competing deadlines / overworked issue, it would likely just mean a lot less new things at the time of release and a lot more stuff pushed into updates after release.

What I am not sold on is the current individual project approach. This is what we all need to discuss and agree on. People moving their individual project onto github was not the correct way to do this. This should have been done in consultation with the rest of the development team and implemented in a coordinated fashion.

How to do this in a way that presents a more coherent front and the perception of a team development effort on a single project (AMBER) and can survive the loss of individual developers from that team without their respective code withering and dying from neglect is what we need to address. We should not be a bunch of individuals working in silos here. Yes the AMBER test suite is a mess - we should all be pitching in here to help improve this so we can make use of CI properly - the 'not my problem, not my code' argument doesn't fly if you want to be associated with AMBER - simple as that. We all share responsibility here.

Conceptually what I feel like we need - and am fully open to discussion of this in a few weeks in person - is a single git repository (github is fine given the positive arguments) for AMBER - part of that would be private for the licensed code and part would be public (with some restrictions to protect novel things from public view that people might not want to [or are not permitted] to disclose before publication) and then within this git tree would be a series of 'sub-trees' for each of the various packages (and maybe an etc for minor scripts etc) that one could clone / check out independent of the whole AMBER tree if they wanted to help with parmed for example.

Obviously I know this is not supported by github but we ought to be able to figure out a way to put something together, with necessary scripts etc that at least approximates something like this - and potentially this might mean having better github like software on our own servers or something else or relying on a third party provider such as github or ??? - that can effectively give us something that looks like this framework.

Discussion / ideas welcome.

All the best
Ross