Re: [AMBER-Developers] Latest configure script seems to want to install tons of third party dependencies?

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 11:29:38 -0500

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Josh Berryman <
the.real.josh.berryman.gmail.com> wrote:

> Have to throw in my 2c here, sorry, but I hate it when applications run off
> and get their own python. Bloat city, having two complete python installs
> (2.7 and 3) already feels like too many.

​The pythons that come with operating systems are rarely complete, FWIW
:). They include only those components that they, themselves rely on. And
they also rarely include both Py2 *and* Py3 in standard installs.

It's almost the norm for Python-based programs to bundle their own Python:

- Phenix
- VMD
- Chimera
- PyMol, I think (although there are installation routes that can
circumvent this)

And again, Amber will only do this if it feels it must. If you apt-get
install a few (3 or 4) extra Python packages (or yum install, whatever),
Amber is satisfied and just uses that.

But this situation means users don't run into "I don't have permission to
install a compatible Python" and "I don't know how to install a compatible
Python", etc... the nature of compromise, I suppose.

All the best,

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University
Postdoctoral Researcher