Re: [AMBER-Developers] Latest configure script seems to want to install tons of third party dependencies?

From: Hannes Loeffler <Hannes.Loeffler.stfc.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 16:04:21 +0000

Look at this from the bright side: at least it's not docker or, worse,
a virtual machine :-) I agree that those virtualisation attempts seem
to go out of hands (quite) a bit but when you have to maintain Python
code, dependent on 3rd party libraries especially, you quickly learn why
you want to do this. On MacOSX this is just a nightmare and packaging
your own Python distribution (or go miniconda or similar) seems to be
the only sensible way to go. I learned that the hard way... And don't
get me started on UCS2 vs UCS4 being a compile-time option in 2.7. I
had to tell 3(!) sysadmins that they really ought to look into how
(Linux) distributors build their stuff (hint: Linux distributions do
not use the default of UCS2).