Re: [AMBER-Developers] Leap inconsistencies with wildcard torsion (surprise)

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 09:54:33 -0500

I *think* I see the problem here. And you're right... it can be pretty
nasty. I'll have to look into the best way to fix this problem.

You can see a chunk of code in tleap where it *explicitly* checks to see if
an "old" torsion was assigned as a generic torsion (with wildcards) and a
specific torsion was found, it replaces the generic with the specific:
https://github.com/choderalab/ambermini/blob/master/leap/src/leap/parmSet.c#L427-L443

However, this is on a per-torsion basis. What's happening here is that the
generic torsion defines periodicity 2, while the specific torsion assigns
periodicity 1 and 3. So there is no term for the specific torsions that
overwrites the periodicity-2 term that is assigned by the generic torsion.
If you change this periodicity to 1 in gaff.dat, you should see this
problem disappear.

So the bug here *seems* to be that if a generic torsion is defined *first*
in the parameter sets (which it appears is true for gaff.dat), and a
specific torsion does not overwrite every periodicity that the generic
torsion specified, then that term (or those terms) will be added to the
specific torsion terms.

There are a couple fixes I can think of:

1. Move all of the generic torsions to the *end* of the torsion list in
gaff.dat -- this still leaves you open to this problem if you override
generic torsions with an frcmod file, don't override all generic
periodicities, and then load the frcmod file *after* gaff.dat is loaded.

2. After all torsions have been assigned, go through and delete the ones
that are tagged as wild-card for 4 atoms that *also* have specific torsions
assigned

3. Same thing as 2, except just set the force constant to the wild-card
torsions to 0 so they don't add to the potential.

#1 is the easiest, but also the worst fix. It'll get the majority of
cases, but will still exist in workflows that are fairly standard.

#2 is the "best" fix, and the way I hope things can be done, but also
involves changing the size of an array while iterating over it. And I just
don't know if I know the leap data structures well enough to do that with
confidence.

#3 avoids the issue of changing iterator size, but could cause confusion in
people that don't expect to see an extra zero-term.

Anyway, that's my take on it. I'll open up a bugzilla issue on this once I
get a repro.

All the best,
Jason

BioMaPS,