Re: [AMBER-Developers] Differing behavior between sander and pmemd for 1-4 nonbonded interactions

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 12:17:30 -0400

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 11:59 AM, Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> Are you sure this list comes from the prmtop?

​It comes from the dihedral array defined in the prmtop.

> For GB simulations I think it does indeed come from the prmtop but sander
> and pmemd to the best of my knowledge for periodic simulations throws out
> whatever is in the prmtop file and instead recomputes the 1-4 list manually
> in extra points.

​The 1-4 list is augmented, not thrown away. If there are no virtual
sites, the 1-4 list is copied unchanged. If there *are* virtual sites,
then the 1-4 pairs involving those virtual sites are added to the list
(because they are *not* present in the prmtop -- EPs only have bonds to
their parent atom).

> I might be confusing things here with the exclusion list but you certainly
> check.

​Yes, it's the exclusion list that has this problem. The exclusion list in
the prmtop is used in GB but ignored by the PME code.

All the best,

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University
Postdoctoral Researcher