Re: [AMBER-Developers] Amber release names

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 21:25:48 -0500

>> This does not make sense. pmemd has its own source directory and license
>> file as do some other programs (and as ~every program once did before
>> Dave rearranged things years ago):
>> src/pmemd/src/copyright.i
>> AmberTools/src/cpptraj/LICENSE
>> AmberTools/src/reduce/LICENSE
>>
>> Please provide a syllogism that explains the split.
>
> Indeed this also makes no sense to me. The whole FREE GPL blah vs proprietary split between AmberTools and Amber was never properly done anyway. E.g. $AMBERHOME/AmberTools/src/chamber/copyright.h

This is confusing, and it should be fixed. It *should* be FOSS, or it should be moved to Amber. (It doesn’t *really* matter, since chamber is getting phased out.)

I was under the impression that everything in AmberTools was being relicensed to LGPL or something compatible (like BSD).

All the best,

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University
Postdoctoral Researcher